Google+

Color With Me, Mom! -- A Relaxing Friday Review

Disclosure: I was sent this book to review free of charge from Quarto Books USA. All opinions in this post are my own. I did not receive any other compensation for this review. I am including links to each item for your convenience but do not receive anything if you purchase them.

Now I have mentioned how Hazel loves to color in my "adult" coloring books previously, so when I saw Color With Me, Mom! by Jasmine Narayan and illustrated by Hannah Davies I was intrigued. After all a book for both of us to color together sounds great!! Then we both can get the benefit of time together and the meditative quality of coloring. This book however is so much more!!
https://www.quartoknows.com/books/9781631061981/Color-with-Me-Mom.html?direct=1

We all know that kids tell us more when we engage them in an activity like cooking together, playing a game, etc. Well this book provides the activity. Ideally you would sit side by side at a table with your coloring tools and work on a picture. The pictures are double paged with one side having more detail than the other.

The child works on the simpler side and the mother works on the more complicated side. Conversation starts just by being together. (Unless you make the mistake of having the television on while you are coloring like we often do.) But this book also provides guides, conversation starters and more on various topics: Self-Perception, Relationships, Home Life, School Life, Imagination, and Play.


 Then the chapter has pictures that somewhat relate to that topic. This is a page I started without Hazel in the Relationships section. I decided to wait until she was with me to work on it some more.
What a great resource for mothers to help with those conversations!! Whether your child has experienced something recently and needs to talk about it or you just want to check in and develop those communication habits, this book will help you in a fun and non-intrusive way. 

The pictures are fun and varied. There is something for all interests. I also love that the backgrounds are not white. I always feel funny leaving them white. So if you are a mom I suggest this book as a tool for growth in the relationship and understanding with your child.